Here's a fun, and worthwhile, contest, as described by Debbie Waters, the Education Director at Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory:
There was a great article in the local news section of Thursday's Duluth News Tribune about our Name the Peregrine Falcon Chick auction.
There's still time left to bid! The auction ends at 6:50 Saturday evening. To bid, go to www.ebay.com and search under "name peregrine falcon".
This is the PERFECT gift for the bird lover that has everything (else)!
We've had a lot of lookers on the Ebay page, but so far just one bid.
Thank you to that bidder! You are helping to support one of our most popular public programs--one that we offer as a free public service in our community. "Free" means that we need funding from outside sources in order to provide this valuable programming.
What does the winner get?
1. The naming right for one of the peregrine chicks/eyasses. This name will be recorded along with the band numbers in the Midwest Peregrine Society database.
2. A professional photo of 'your' eyas taken at the banding. Because they aren't traditionally 'cute' at that age, we will also attempt to get a professional 'suitable for framing' photo of your chick after it develops its beautiful juvenile plumage. We can't guarantee that the bird will provide us with that opportunity, but we'll do our best!
3. A day with the Peregrine Watch Naturalists watching the family and touring some of the other Peregrine Falcon nest sites in the area.4. Email updates concerning the development, activities and well-being of 'your' eyas during the summer of 2008.
5. Notification if your bird is relocated or seen at another location as an adult.
6. A one-year membership to Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory and all the perks that come with HRBO membership.
This is an exciting opportunity that we may not be able to offer again in the future, so we hope you will take advantage of what might be a “once in a lifetime” chance!